Yields 2½ cookies
10 minutes active time + 10 minutes cook time =
20 minutes total time
- ½ c softened unsalted butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1¾ c flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp crushed instant espresso powder
- 8 oz chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter until smooth.
- Add sugars and cream until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla. Beat well.
- Add baking soda, baking powder, flour, and crushed instant espresso powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place generous gobs of dough on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes. Cool on rack, or enjoy warm.
- A non-coffee alternative, such as Pero, can be used in place of espresso powder.
- Use an additional 1 Tbs softened unsalted butter in step 2 for extra-moist cookies.
This article appeared on page 17 of Issue 5 | January 2012.
Corrections, 22 April 2013
We have made some changes in this version of the recipe from the one published in Issue 5 | January 2012 of Dialann. We added ¼ tsp salt to the list of ingredients—it really does help bring out some of the flavors—and we reduced the oven temperature to 350°F, which we think helps keep the cookies softer and prevents overbaking.