22 JANUARY 2011
Our family accompanied Boy Scouts from the Washington DC 3rd Ward on a visit to the Washington Monument.
Factoid: The Washington Monument
- Height: 555 feet, 51/8 inches (169.294 meters)
- Construction began 4 July 1848 and was completed 6 December 1884.
- The marble changes color 152 feet (46 meters) up because construction halted between 1858 and 1878 due to co-option by the Know Nothings, lack of funds, and the Civil War. When construction resumed, stone from the original quarry had run out and builders had to use stone of a slightly darker shade.
- The capstone is pure aluminum, which was as expensive as silver at the time.
- When completed, it was the world’s tallest structure, surpassing Cologne Cathedral in Germany. It was surpassed by the Eiffel Tower in 1889. It remains the world’s tallest stone structure.
The view from the top